Friday, August 17, 2012

YEAH!!! and Ohh?!?

 This past Monday, I had my blood checked again and, praise God, my blood levels are on the rise...slowly.  My white blood count was up to 4,700.  We also realized that my normal range for white count has changed to 5,000-10,000.  So really, I am just under normal range- YEAH!! I was also instructed to continue to stay off of my gleevic, so another "vacation" for my body.  YEAH!!

 While I was talking to the nurse about my blood levels, she very casually mentioned that the Dr. has ordered me to try another chemo drug and they are waiting to hear from our insurance whether or not it will be approved with our policy.  While trying to keep my composer, I informed the nurse that nothing has been said or even hinted to the fact that I am switching to another drug. After a few akward "ohs and ums" and applogies she explained that the Dr. wants me to stop with the gleevic and begin trying sprycell (no idea if that is how you spell it or even say it...all I understood was something like that). 

  That evening, Merrick did a lot of research on this new drug.  It has only been around since 2007 where the gleevic has been around for 10 years.  However, the people that commented about the drug stated they began on the gleevic but their bodies could not adapt/ handle the side effects.  Once they switched to this drug, they noticed a huge improvement.  So that was very encouraging!  However, the majority of the side effects are similar to the gleevic ones.  I guess time will tell how my body reacts to this drug.

 Throughout the rest of this week I have been on the phone and signing and faxing back forms to get the ball rolling to start this new drug.  We have been warned that our copay for this new drug is almost double than the gleevic. :*(  The foundation that helps with copays for gleevic and possibly this drug denied our claim because I am not on Medicare. :*(  The patient advocate from Avera has been an absolute gem and is working very diligently on our case to help us find what we need for financial assistance with this drug.  We are very thankful for her, her knowledge, and her connections!  But at the same time, once again....Merrick and I are trying extremely hard to stay calm and trust the Lord that something will work out.  Just right now things do not look as hopeful as we thought, financially.

  This coming Monday I will not have to go in for blood work.  On Tuesday, I will be going to the Dr. in Sioux Falls for a check up.  I will have blood work done the first hour and then see the Dr. the second hour.  Hopefully then, Merrick and I will have things cleared up and thoroughly explained to us for what is going to happen as well as what is going on.

**Prayer requests for this week: **
- Even more peace from our Heavenly Father to calm our anxiousness about this new drug.  There are a lot of unknows with this...once again.
- Answers for the financial concerns for this new drug.
- That the Dr. visit will go well.  Pray that he will be thorough with his answers.  Pray that God will continue to give him wisdom in all that he does.
-  Thanksgiving and praise that my white count and the rest of my blood numbers are on the rise and I am starting to feel some of my energy come back!

  Thank you again for your prayers, support, and concern!!

No comments:

Post a Comment